- Map & Directions
- Visiting Algeciras
- What to do
- Campo de Gibraltar
- Events in Algeciras and around
- Classic Car Rally 2015
- Algeciras’ III Annual Christmas Charity Race
- Christmas in Algeciras 2014
- Polar Bear Swim and the Winter Party in Town 2014
- Official Competition of Carnival Groups of Cádiz 2015
- Tradewise Gibraltar Chess Festival 2015
- What's On Gibraltar in May
- Cadiz Carnival 2015
- Things to do in Cadiz in March
- Gibraltar events in June
- Gibraltar and Algeciras events 2015
- Algeciras Easter Guide 2015
- Gibraltar Fringe Festival 2015
- What’s On July 2016
- What’s On October in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- What's on September
- What’s On December in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- What's on September
- What’s On January 2016
- Algeciras Carnival 2016
- What’s On April 2016
- What’s On May 2016
- What’s On August 2016
- What’s On September 2016
- What’s On November 2016
- What’s On December 2016 in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- What’s on January 2017 in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- What’s on February 2017 in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- What’s on March 2017 in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- What’s on April 2017 in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- What’s on May 2017 in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- What’s on July 2017 in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- What’s on August 2017 in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- What’s on September 2017 in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- What to do this Halloween in Gibraltar & Algeciras
- Plan your Trip
Welcome to the funniest Carnival of the World!
Carnival in Algeciras, all you need to know
Date: 04th to 14th February 2016
The Algeciras Carnival Festival will be held over a 10-day period in February 2016.
The first festivals of Algeciras date back to the eighteen century when Christian people celebrated the beginning of the Lent. It was a time to celebrate and dance dressed in fancy dresses until 1937, when the Dictator Franco banned this celebration.
By 1981 the Carnival restarted, and the popular celebrations inundated the streets with joy. One week before the Carnival Parade and the famous association contest starting signal starts, there are too many things to do and see in Algeciras; the Adult and infant Queen’s Coronation and their nymphs. All together will walk around Algeciras streets on the Carnival Parade, as the big celebration of the city!
But the essence of the Carnival is the association contest, where groups of citizens get dressed in fancy dress costumes and compete singing funny songs criticising the actual political and social country situation.
For more information on the Carnival programme please click here.
Romantic Valentine's Getaway
If you cannot make the Carnival, we have put together a super special offer for Valentine’s Day. Just for 45€/night for two people including breakfast buffet and high-speed WIFI connection! Find out more here >>
T&C's: Offer only valid on 13th and 14th February.
How can you possibly resist taking a trip to Algeciras (Cadiz) this February when we have so much to offer? Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar will be the perfect place for you to rest your head after an exciting time out and about.